Saturday, September 10, 2011

intermission

I have to leave the road of Gonzo-style rants here for one post and say a few words about the wonderful and kind people in this country. Yes, they will of course try to charge you more than the usual price, but hell, we are filthy rich compared to them, and they are always truly friendly and open. If you smile and say "No thanx" they smile back and laugh and wave at you.
Sure, if you hit the places where the tourists are, they will try harder and more frequently, but still always politely.
And the folks we're staying with, well, I can't even begin to describe their kindness and friendly curiosity.

The same goes for the people at COMPED where we work. I just finished reading Mr.Hengs Biography from the time of the civil war and the Terror of the Khmer Rouge, and it had me weeping. To see this man sitting in front of you with fever in his office, smiling, kind, trying to see to our every need, putting all his effort and heart and strength into the Projects, pffff, sorry, I'm for once can't find words to express how much this impresses me. It's a truly humbling experience, putting my life into new perspective.

You all know how I love to rant, to exaggerate and to express things in terms of sheer madness.
And I think you will agree that it makes for good entertainment. But for once I feel the need to make sure that this is understood as Gonzo, a style of fictional factual journalism, designed to entertain and express those inexpressible emotions and things that mere facts could never convey.

Selah.

Well, let's not get all preachy here. We are, after all, professionals. Just pretend that this was written by my good twin brother who never drinks nor swears and knows that even little white lies make dear Jesus weep.

Hallebaba. Keep those homefires burning. We will see you on the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment